Hudson Guild’s Adult Services program helps older adults age “55 & better” live in independence and with dignity as contributing members of the community.
Hudson Guild’s Adult Services Program helps older adults age “55 & better” live in independence and with dignity as contributing members of the community. The Guild keeps adults healthy, active and engaged through a range of educational, recreational and health-related activities. All are welcome at Adult Services programs, and our staff speaks many languages including Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin in addition to English.
The Neighborhood Senior CenterSundial
• Meal Programs: Every weekday, seniors can come to the Center for a tasty, nutritious meal while socializing with friends and neighbors Sundial
• The Social Services Unit (SSU) provides professional counseling, personal support, and assistance in applying for benefits and social services. In addition, the SSU offers free legal assistance, financial coaching, a health insurance advocate, MetroCard mobile services and tenant assistance and advocacy through the Chelsea Housing Council.
• Activities: Every weekday, the Guild offers approximately 60 enrichment activities for adults to learn new skills, improve existing ones and find creative outlets to stimulate the mind, body, and spirit. Click here for a full list of this month’s activities in the current edition of the Sundial
• Live performances, Theater tickets, Creative writing, Cultural trips throughout NYC and the tri-state area
• Crafts, Jewelry making, Ceramics, Art Appreciation, Painting, Collage
• Beginning computing and technology use
• Beginning and Intermediate Spanish, English as a Second Language
• Discussion groups, Lectures
• Bingo, Bridge, Parties, Ballroom dance, Movies & Movie trivia
• A bereavement group
Naturally Occurring Retirement Community (NORC)
The Hudson Guild NORC ensures that hundreds of older adults in the Elliott-Chelsea Houses have the help they need to remain living independently and stay engaged in the community. Nearly 650 seniors living in the Elliott-Chelsea Houses are offered social, recreational and health-related supports through partnerships with Mount Sinai/St. Luke’s Health System, New York City Housing Authority and Visiting Nurse Service of New York. Licensed social workers and an on-site registered nurse provide services and assistance to residents both on-site and in their homes.
The NORC also offers wellness and enrichment activities, including:
• Weekly Yoga, Mah Jong, Arthritis Exercise, Blood pressure screening, Lunch & Learn health sessions, One-on-one counseling sessions, Discussion groups
• English as a Second Language, Chinese Club for Cantonese-speaking residents
• Bingo, Jewelry-making
These group activities help participants address concrete needs as well as physical and health issues related to lack of physical activity, social isolation, and loneliness.
Geriatric Mental Health Initiative (GMHI)
Working jointly with Hudson Guild’s Mental Health Services , GMHI reduces the number of seniors suffering from depression, anxiety, and isolation. The Initiative features many fun and interactive programs, including weekly “cinema therapy” sessions, Healthy Living Groups, informal counseling for older adults, and the Ladies Who Lunch program group.
Volunteer Opportunities and Services
To find out how to get involved with Adult Services, such as friendly visiting, contact Cheryl Kamen at firstname.lastname@example.org.