- About Us
- Our Programs
- News & Events
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
For over 120 years, Hudson Guild has offered a broad range of direct programming and services to Chelsea residents. Today, we serve over 14,000 individuals annually, providing free and low-cost childcare, mental health services, afterschool programs, teen services, and more.
Dr. John Lovejoy Elliott rented a room in Chelsea— then a tough, working-class neighborhood—and began his lifelong experiment with “neighborliness.”
In the next few years, Dr. Elliott established numerous clubs and programs for boys and girls, working women, and families.
New York City’s first kindergarten, vocational training, athletics, and a library were established by a growing staff of volunteers.
These disparate programs merged in 1897 to become Hudson Guild.
He encouraged a small group of rowdy local boys to form a boxing club, titled the “Hurly Burlies,” under his leadership.
The popularity of Hudson Guild programs prompted the settlement to move several times in its first decade. Eventually a permanent Hudson Guild building was erected at 436 West 27th Street. Its five stories housed a library, print shop, club rooms, and baths.
John Lovejoy Elliott.